Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Class 531 Reflection – Week One

What is like to be a student in my class? What is like for a student to move through classes in a day at our school?

In my class, a student would find that most of the work is group and collaborative based. The students sit at tables in groups of three to five. The students at each table have roles within their group they must perform each day. Some of the students are the task managers, and have to make sure their peers stay focused and on task. Others may be resource managers, ensuring that their groups have the materials they need to complete their assignments. Other roles may include readers, reading materials aloud to the class, or recorders, taking notes for their group at the table.

A typical day would include both whole class instruction as well as group work. Whole class instruction is often conducted as part of an interactive lecture, which would include demonstrations, discussions, and hands-on samples. During these lectures, class participation is required. Students in my class would be asked to contribute to at least one whole class discussion a week as part of the participation grade.

Group work would often follow the short lecture and may include hands-on laboratory assignments, group response to questions and prompts, or completion of graphic organizers. During this time, I would walk the room to work with each group as needed and to assess their understanding of the assignment. I would also ensure that the students are all contributing to the group work and provide individual help where needed.

At the end of class, I would again address the whole class to review and summarize what we have discussed and learned that day.

Our school is a traditional school, where the students have six periods lasting approximately 55 minutes. Because of the short periods, it can be difficult to get in all of the activities that I may want to include in a lesson. Sometimes I have to plan my lessons over two days if they involve extensive laboratory exercises. However, I do get to see my students on a daily basis, and that makes it easier to scaffold the learning from the day before. Additionally, the campus is large, and that can make it difficult for students to get from one location to the next in the prescribed amount of time. I do feel that the students can feel rushed with the quick pace set by the schedule. However, I feel that there is a very positive attitude at the school shared by the students, administrators and teachers. I really enjoy teaching here.

No comments:

Post a Comment