Monday, May 14, 2012

Octopus, Crabs, and Sea Stars, Oh My!


Tide Pooling with my Marine Science Class

On Friday, I took my marine science class to the local tide pools. The students have recently finished their units on invertebrates, and we were going to spend the period finding the creatures they had learned so much about. We found sea stars 8 to 10 inches in diameter, two crabs, both male and female, two purple sea slugs, countless sea anemones, and finally the elusive octopus. This was learning at its core. The students were able to see, touch, and observe these creatures in their natural habitat.

I was also impressed with the students desire to respect and preserve the sea life and their habitat. They were incredibly respectful of the animals we found, always handling them with care, and returning them to the same place where they were found. They asked lots of questions about the importance of the habitat and what they can do to help keep it healthy for the future.
This was the best form of assessments. The students recognized the different types of sea life, were able to name their phylum and the unique features of each species, and also showed their understanding of the importance of habitat preservation. It was a great day.


1 comment:

  1. Michele, what a cool lesson!! I want to be in HS again just to take your class and visit the tide pools. This is what makes learning fun. Plus, I have a strange obsession with touching sea anemones and letting them close on my finger :). I hope someday I can find a way to do such an interactive and hands on lessons with my English students. If only the budget allowed me to take them to the Globe Theatre in England. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete